How to maximize the benefits of Botox injections
If you’re thinking about how you can improve your appearance and look younger, you’ve likely considered Botox. Widely known for its ability to transform looks and turn back the hands of time, Botox is a well-known cosmetic injectable that smooths fine lines and wrinkles. Many patients find that Botox benefits their appearance when addressing horizontal lines across the forehead, crow’s feet, or lines around the lips and nose. The treatment can also be used to offset a ‘heavy brow.’
If you’re considering Botox, Dr. Peter Accetta of Orchard Park Dermatology in Orchard Park, New York, offers the following tips to ensure you get the best results:
- Work with a professional – Today, Botox is widely available. However, it’s important to work with a trained and experienced professional to ensure you get the best, most natural results.
- Communicate your preferences – A consultation with your doctor is the perfect time to not only explain the results you want but to share more information about your lifestyle and medical history. You should also share a list of the medications you take, as some can interfere with your treatment.
- Follow instructions – Your doctor will provide you with instructions before and after your Botox treatment. It’s important to note that these should be followed carefully to maximize the benefits of the treatment.
- Don’t touch – You may feel the urge to touch your face following treatment. However, the Botox liquid is carefully placed under the skin to achieve the best results. Rubbing or massaging the face can move the serum into other areas and change the overall aesthetic. Try to keep your hands away from your face for at least one full day.
- Stand up straight – Botox can take some time to settle into place. Avoid lying down, reclining, or being in a bent-over position for too long in the first four hours following your treatment.
- Drink water – Proper hydration is critical to keeping your body and skin healthy. Alcohol and dehydrating beverages should be avoided in the days following your appointment.
- Nutrition matters – Swapping processed foods and those high in sugar or sodium for healthy fruits and vegetables can keep your skin glowing and prevent future wrinkles.
- Avoid sun exposure – While the sun can boost your mood, it can also magnify fine lines and wrinkles. Limiting your sun exposure can help maximize the benefit of your Botox treatment. If you’re going to be outside, wear sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat, or sit under an umbrella. Also, ensure you’re using quality sunscreen.
- Get touch-ups – Botox doesn’t last forever. However, over time your results will improve, and the effects of your treatment will last longer. Talk to your doctor about when you should return for a touch-up session to achieve the best long-term results.
(716) 675-7000 Or
Shre this Article
Back to Botox Page